Saturday, February 26, 2022

eSport Coaching's Next Lombardi

 

For many years, coaching was only present in a few defined areas – many occupations being in the field of athletics. Whenever it comes to coaching, most people tend to think of sport coaches in all the various sports that exist. As of recently, eSport coaching has started to surface, and I interviewed an aspiring eSport coach to get his thoughts on the future of this form of coaching and how their experience with gaming has opened this pathway.

Justin is a top .01% player in the video game League of Legends, a highly competitive and skill intensive video game. Not only does this game involve high skill, but the prize pool for winning the biggest LoL tourney is in the millions. This number is only growing by the year and could potentially be the next mainstream form of entertainment.

I asked Justin his thoughts on his career pathways with eSports and if he truly believes there is a future in this industry:

So Justin, given your talent and skill level at your current level, do you foresee yourself working in this field?

“I really appreciate the compliment – Although I am in the top .01% of players, I truly do not believe that I am skilled enough to make the pro scene. Basketball, baseball, and other sports are the same way – there are a ton of players that can make a D1 team but not make it to the real deal.”

So if you do not see yourself competing in this field, do you see yourself working as a coach?

“Of course. I think a deep passion of mine is for coaching. I’ve had a fair share of good and bad coaches and I think I have the passion and skills to be a good influence for a team.”

Finally, do you think this gaming thing is a fad? Do you think you should pursue other things that have more opportunity for growth?

“I can see why people would be concerned with not working at a big corporate business out of college, but I don’t think there is anything to worry about. Organizations are being formed all around the world, all with their own benefits, just like a normal 9 to 5. Of course there are ‘safer’ options, but I don’t think anyone should be scared to join an eSports team.”

Any final remarks?

“Yeah, I just wanted to point out that without the existence of gaming I wouldn’t have had my passion for coaching spark, I would be left with a longing in my heart. I deeply appreciate League of Legends and the opportunities it has brought me.”


Justin asked that he remain anonymous for this interview but allowed for the usage of his first name. Thank you, Justin, for your time and insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best of Gaming Gurus

To recap all of my favorite blog posts, I compiled a list of the best posts from my blog into one consumable post. Each post falls under the...