Sunday, February 27, 2022

A Look Into True Gaming Skills

 

All content for this post will be in reference to https://www.zenbusiness.com/blog/from-game-room-to-boardroom-4-video-game-skills-that-translate-to-the-workplace/

While searching the internet for other blogs and articles that showcase the skills and gained from different games, I found this source that made well stated points and I thought I would showcase it on my blog.

The article is a quick post showcasing the different skills gained from gaming depending on the genre. Out of the post, I think there were great points and mediocre ones. The best point being the ones involving creative thinking and problem solving. I thought the other two – although they might be true, aren’t as valuable of a lesson or are not taught just by playing games.

Personally, I do not think that both the communication and resourcefulness are great examples of skills gained from playing games. In the communication section, the writer suggests that communication must be learned and expressed to succeed, but I don’t fully agree. I think that in some games this is not learned – nor is it encouraged in some games.

The example they use in the article is the game Overwatch, which is a tactical, fast-paced shooter that involves teamplay to succeed. I have played this game previously, and although communication can be learned – I don’t think it teaches you good ways of communicating or being effective at it. It involves talking to succeed but doesn’t teach you how to be a better communicator.

The same point is to be made with resourcefulness. They use the example of the Battle Royale game PUBG. Although someone can learn to make more use of their resources through playing this game, I do not think it makes you resourceful.

I think the point creative thinking and problem solving was the best point they made. I primarily play the game League of Legends, and I can agree with the points they state in their article. The game is extremely complicated, making it so one game is never the same as the next. You must shift your knowledge on the game to fit the situation you are in so you can succeed. I think this is the greatest skill someone can learn easily from games, and I think it’s a beneficial one to have as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best of Gaming Gurus

To recap all of my favorite blog posts, I compiled a list of the best posts from my blog into one consumable post. Each post falls under the...